We sit down with Garrick Higgo ahead of his appearance at The Open Championship in St Andrews.
Garrick Higgo @ The Open
GP: Good afternoon & welcome to Scotland, Garrick! How did you find playing at the Scottish Open just last week, was it good preparation for your second appearance at The Open Championship?
GH: I think playing links style golf the week before the is a good thing for me. It helps me to acclimatise and think about some of the shots that I'll need to hit at St Andrews this week. It also helps with the jet lag!!
GP: The 150th Open Championship is one of the biggest ever major tournaments in the sport…how excited are you to be playing in the 150th Open at The Home of Golf and what would it mean to you to have a good finish in St Andrews?
GH: I can imagine any time that you are fortunate enough to play an Open at St Andrews is special but to play in the 150th anniversary is going to be extra special.
GP: South Africa have a long and successful history in The Open (the 3rd most successful behind UK & USA)…have you been seeking any advice from the likes of your mentor Gary Player, “Uncle Ernie” – or perhaps even Louis Oosthuizen who won here in 2010? I know that you also play a bit of golf with Zach Johnson – the last winner around here!
GH: Not specfically but Mr. Player in general has offered me lots of support and guidance over the years. Louis and I played a lot of practice rounds earlier in the year which is always enjoyable, too!
GP: We’re yet to hear of the tee times for The Open but…if you had the choice, would you prefer to play with one or two of your closer mates on tour, or guys you’ve never played with - or how about one of the star attractions? Tiger on day one & two?!
GH: Ha ha! I am not sure how likely it is that I'll be in Tiger's group but I'd love it if it happened!
GP: Another question that we like to ask…which 3 other people would make up your dream four ball, past or present? Take your time on this one!
GH: I'll choose 21 savage, Post Malone & Michael Jordan.
GP: You obviously caught the eye because of the records you were breaking every other week on the European Tour, soon followed by your maiden PGA Tour title - but we also loved your “look” and the clothing you were wearing too. Can you tell us a bit about your relationship with MACADE and what it was about the brand that convinced you to sign with them?
GH: Yes, we started our relationship just before I won in Gran Canaria last year. I really like the fabrics and style as it's quite unique and has a younger feel to it.
GP: We are extremely excited to have just dropped our Golfposer x Macade collaboration online…do you enjoy “standing out” on the course with what you wear, whether that’s with bold statement print polos, or maybe even resort collar shirts, joggers or hoodies etc?
GH: I like how individual it is. It's not like traditional golf wear which suits how I like to look.
GP: And finally...Do you have any fun facts about yourself, maybe something like a superstition or something in your routine that’s quite quirky?
GH: Nothing much, I'm not very superstitious haha!
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Shirt - Resort Collar Polo - Tie Dye 2022As low as $59.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Shirt - Blade Collar Polo - Blue Floral 2022As low as $59.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Shirt - Raglan Camo Polo - Hot Pink 2022As low as $49.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Shirt - Jacquard Polo - Dark Grey 2022As low as $55.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Shirt - Camo Jacquard Polo - Navy 2022As low as $55.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Pullover - Tech Hoodie - Light Grey 2022As low as $89.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Pullover - Tech Hoodie - Navy 2022As low as $89.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Pullover - Tech Quarter Zip - Fog Blue 2022As low as $79.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Jacket - QZ Hoodie - Hot Pink 2022As low as $109.00
- Macade Golf Trousers - Tech Jogger Pant - Light Grey 2022As low as $85.00
- Macade Golf Trousers - Tech Jogger Pant - Navy 2022As low as $85.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Cap - Contrast Rope - White 2022As low as $28.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Cap - Tour Camo - Hot Pink 2022As low as $28.00
- Golfposer x Macade Golf Cap - Tour Camo - Sage Green 2022As low as $28.00